• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Numbness / benching technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsxa1

Greenlighter
Hi,

I have two questions dealing with the gym.

1. I have been very active in going to the gym for the last 7 months (3-4 times every week). I haven't had any troubles until 3 weeks ago.
It seems that every time I workout my chest mainly on bench press that I lose all sensation in my left hand.
It feels as if it "feel asleep" or that feeling after you burn yourself. This continues often into the next day.
This only occurs with chest exercises ,I imagine b/c of the heavy weight they involve.

Is this something I should worry about? Has anyone gone through something similiar? Possible ways to fix this?

2. This question is much easier. I am just wondering what is the "correct form that one's back should be in when benching. flat or curved?

Thanks for your time..

Hi,

I have two questions dealing with the gym.

1. I have been very active in going to the gym for the last 7 months (3-4 times every week). I haven't had any troubles until 3 weeks ago.
It seems that every time I workout my chest mainly on bench press that I lose all sensation in my left hand.
It feels as if it "feel asleep" or that feeling after you burn yourself. This continues often into the next day.
This only occurs with chest exercises ,I imagine b/c of the heavy weight they involve.

Is this something I should worry about? Has anyone gone through something similiar? Possible ways to fix this?

2. This question is much easier. I am just wondering what is the "correct form that one's back should be in when benching. flat or curved?

Thanks for your time..

Your hand goes numb when you bench press. is that something you should be worried about?

YES YES YES YES YES. That should not happen. Get nerve testing done immediately. That sounds liek it could be very serious.

Regarding number 2) Your back should be curved no more than it's natural arc. The back is naturally curved, but you should basically be lying flat on your back, such that your back is in its most natural position. Do not intentionally arch your back to lift the weight.

yes you shouldn't have numbness.. that means your nerve is getting pinched or something. Have you tried suicide grip? it forces the weight to rest on a better center of gravity with respect to your wrist and forearm and could alleviate the pinching. Just don't drop the weight on your chest accidentally. I personally use suicide grip.

For proper bench position I have found:

It is very important before starting the lift to squeeze your shoulder blades together under you and then put your weight onto them to pin them in a contracted position. Then you arch slightly and drive your heels into the floor in front of you. You should feel the force of your heels driving into the floor through your arch and into your shoulderblades into the bench. Then you need to grip the bar, lift, and bring it down slowly to your sternum. I have best results if I bring it down to the bottom of my sternum so that its a downward forward arc motion, not a straight down motion. What this does is makes your triceps take more of the burden of the lift and takes a lot of pressure off your shoulders. You should not have your elbows flared out at 90 degree angles but probably at about 45 degree angles from your body. Bring the bar down to within 1 millimeter of your sternum, pause slightly, and then press it to 1 mm before lockout. Pause and repeat the movement.

^^ an excellent description of how to do a bench press. Mine was a very lazy effort.

As for the suicide grip --

Are you really recommending that someone with a possible wrist problem use the suicide grip? This seems like a really terrible idea.

there are people out there who DON'T use suicide grip?!

Umm... Yes?

It is called the suicide grip for a reason.

I am not doing bench presses with no spotter using the suicide grip.

Exactly what is the great benefit in this grip that makes the risk worth it?

it actually prevents strain on the wrists because it allows you to align the full weight of the bar with your forearms. If done correctly (not difficult), it is not dangerous at all. I have no idea why they call it suicide grip.

I know why -- because many do not do it correctly, and it falls on their neck :)

For me, I kow that the chances it rolls out are greater than 0%. I dno't know how much greater, but it is definitely a non-zero chance. And I'd rather not have anything else to worry about while benching.

ehh. He neesd to see a doctor. I had numbness in my wrists a few years back. I had a pinched ulnar nerve in each elbow that required surgery on each one.

^ very nicely said. It took me YEARS to master my bench movement and I still have progress to make in many areas.

Another thing you can do to improve your bench is to exercise your lats and traps prior to doing bench. This causes your back muscles to be filled with blood and you actually get some of your stability and power from these muscles on your bench so having them warmed up is important.

ehh. He neesd to see a doctor. I had numbness in my wrists a few years back. I had a pinched ulnar nerve in each elbow that required surgery on each one.

surgery and doctors isn't always the answer.

when you work out you are bound to face small injuries. I've had terrible pain in my forearms due to working with heavy weight. I've had an injured rhomboid, Achilles tendon, knee injuries. I've never had surgery and I'm glad of that fact. Everybody I know who goes under the knife is NEVER back to 100% while I am just by taking care of myself and knowing when to ease up and do strengthening exercises to take care of my injuries.

surgery and doctors isn't always the answer.

when you work out you are bound to face small injuries. I've had terrible pain in my forearms due to working with heavy weight. I've had an injured rhomboid, Achilles tendon, knee injuries. I've never had surgery and I'm glad of that fact. Everybody I know who goes under the knife is NEVER back to 100% while I am just by taking care of myself and knowing when to ease up and do strengthening exercises to take care of my injuries.

I agree. Doctors have helpedme in some cases, and no in others. It all depends.

But IO do think he should at least see one, and find out if he has serious nerve damage. He could have severe ulnar nerve entrapment or impingment, which can become very very serious if not treated.

I've been training for years and years and suicide grip has never been an issue. All you do is take the weight off with a grip on it then move your thumbs and slightly adjust the weight into a proper suicide position while you rep it out. When you finish you grip it again and put it down. If you are in a position to drop it then you are probably using too much weight and aren't in control of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.